Monday, November 16, 2009

Best educational path for career in advertising (creative side?)?

I'm currently in the middle of my second undergraduate year in a business program- majoring in marketing and minoring in finance.





I've strongly been thinking of switching programs and schools to an english program (I love writing) but since one of my goals is to one day have a successful carreer in advertising, I'm thinking it may be wiser to re-assess my options.





I know that a marketing degree is the fastest way to mid-level sales but should I finish it? What is the value of an english degree in that field?





Is a communications degree/minor the best way to go? I have heard this many time.





BONUSES:





- Are there specific schools/institutes that specialize in advertising/communications and that are very well recognized on the job market?





- What are the steps I can take right now to ensure a well-rounded background and SOLID well-paying job later on when I finish school.





HUUUGE thanks in advance

Best educational path for career in advertising (creative side?)?
Yeah, just what we need, more ad execs...
Reply:It really depends what type of career you are looking for in advertising. Do you know? I have been in advertising (big shops, small shops) for 11 years. I went to Umich and rec'd a Bachelors in Business. It was NO PROBLEM to start a career in advertising. The BBA will give you more options out there whether youre in sales, advertising, marketing, finance, etc. The "softer" degrees make it tougher to get jobs in business (outside of advertising). I would definitely stick with your business degree which will give you more options (say you start in advertising, but want to manage somewhere else one day). Dont switch tracks. Schools with "advertising" schools within them do nothing but teach you the different "ad functions" within an agency - business school teaches you all of it "the big picture" and is more valuable in terms of negotiating pay.

dental hygiene

No comments:

Post a Comment