Thursday, November 19, 2009

I know that advertising is essential to the survivals of many firms, but I am still wondering something?

1) Each time I visit a website or read newspapers, I ignore the ads section. So do many people in my country. So what is the impact of advertising in my country (a developing country) if many people don't care about it?


What about people in other developed countries?


2) Some national firms are very famous. A prominent bank in my country puts a lot of banners on streets' trees, in web newspaper .... They only features the name of the bank and something like "Happy new year!" They don't inform people about new services or new type of cards, etc.


I wonder if they are effective. Everyone knows the bank, and a small banners on trees or websites won't matter much. Am I right?


3) Last year, a group of students held a one-week conference between some other students and some students from America, hoping to improve understandings between students from two countries. Google was among the sponsors.


Why do they have to sponsor a small conference? Google is already very well-known.


Thanks!!

I know that advertising is essential to the survivals of many firms, but I am still wondering something?
1. IF you were in the market for something you would look at some ads. I generally ignore ads, but when I need something, I do scan for what I want as at times you'll see something useful--a promotion--discount, whatever. I don't see that would be different in a developed or developing country.


2. One of the reasons big firms will do something like "Happy New Year" is that they get discounts on ads, purchase x amount of space, and can point to something like that as "we don't always pressure people" kind of goodwill gesture. You did notice the ad :)


3. Google is well-known but there are a couple of reasons why they'd do that. First, the guys who started it are kind of "social consciousness" oriented and as they're filthy rich they can do as they please with their money. They think this is a good idea. What you describe is not that radically different from sponsoring a local kids' team or some such--again, goodwill factor is there.


Bottom line, getting the word out that a company exists is NOT the only reason for advertising. Building a reputation and image are very important for organizations that are NOT fly-by-night. You have to be able to distinguish yourself in some way and some target markets are VERY into some things you won't care about (nor would I).
Reply:1) Even though you "ignore" the ad, you see it. Subconsciously you see the ad by do not consciously acknowledge it.





2) Name........Name recognition is what the banners are for. You see it everyday and the name sticks with you even though you do not know what the company is all about.





3) Google sponsors such things for philanthropy reasons........they do not need the name recognition. Companies that have billions of dollars will help small and large humanitarian and other events so that they can be recognized for their generosity


No comments:

Post a Comment