Thursday, November 19, 2009

Media Studies presentation: Advertising in Sport?

Hi. I have to do a presentation for Media Studies on Wednesday, and I'm pretty nervous. I'm not sure what to say and I have to do it in front of my whole class. The presentation must be on Advertising in Sport and I have decided to focus on Football (Soccer). I know that there are loads of advertisments in the football stadiums, on the shirts and even in the names of some stadiums (e.g. Emirates Stadium). I have also had a look at the various endorsments that products and companies have from football players (e.g. Adidas and Beckham). The trouble is putting all of this into words and explaining it properly. I must explain why it is used, how it is successful, how it is unsuccessful and whether of not it has an effect on the audience/consumers. I am also going to show a video clip from a football match before I start my presentation and before the class know what my presentation is about so that I can see if they take the ads in. What should I acctually say in my presentation?

Media Studies presentation: Advertising in Sport?
Whether in football or any other sports, advertising is used to elicit a specific response to the stimulus.





The stimulus can be the brand names plastered on the players' shirts. The response of the audience, both in the stadium and at home watching the game on TV could be "That brand of sports wear must be so good that my favorite team is confident about wearing it, I should get the same wear for me or for my kids"





Advertising is always about stimulus and response. That is why advertisers take great pains about how their message is crafted, where the messages are exposed (in this case, in the sports arena), how many times the exposure should be (some people are irritated when they see advertising messages too often, and the negative reception to the ad will produce a response that the advertiser would not want e.g. boycott the product - - it comes in the way of the pleasure of watching the games. In this case, the advertising is unsuccessful. Worse because the client would have paid for the exposure, and yet the result is negative. Calibration, or the correct dose of advertising is equally important as the message itself.





The level of advertising is equated by the audience (the audience is targeted by marketing companies because they are "consumers", or if not the consumers of the advertised product, they are probably the decision makers in the purchase. Or they are influencers in the purchase-decision-making process. Thus, even stadium walls and roofs have been used in advertising. Consumers know that it will cost a fortune to convince the owners of the satdium to have your brand plastered on it. The response to be elicited could be " Oh, this brand must be so big they can afford such expensive advertising". A response like that is generally positive, because consumers always go for big brands. Big brands = reliable product. it is for this reason that brands as big as Nike, Coke, and Marlboro continue to present themselves continuously to the consumers. They need to be consistently seen as BIG.





Bigness in sports is best demonstrated via major participation in the most popular sports events. That is why the NBA Games in the USA are always well-sponsored. And that is also why the Olympic Games continue to attract major advertisers. A football match is the everyday-version of these colossal sports events. And the proximity to the real consumers who go to watch the games is a bonus.

teeth hurt

No comments:

Post a Comment